You Matter – Yes, You the Teacher

This is the front door of @grade1 Aviva Dunsiger's classroom.

I have recently been very inspired by what my good Twitter friend @AngelaMaiers is trying to do with her #youmatter mission. We definitely should let the children that we teach know that they matter to us.  Not only should we be recognizing our students and believing in them but you have to realize that you really matter to your students.  Many of your students will never let you know how you have affected them.

While doing my Fall cleaning I came across my Teaching Career binder. It contains many of the letters that I received during my 32 year career.  Most of the letters are from my administrators. Sprinkled throughout are letters from my students.  Reading them reminded me of the funeral of my father.  So many people came up to me and told me how my father had helped them.  I had no idea of his tremendous impact on so many people.  Similarly you might not realize the effect you are having on your students.

Some parts of the letters I received and special times that I’m lucky enough to have been brought to my attention

• The day my class gave me a trophy and a letter of their appreciation for what I was doing for them.
  • A student’s letter telling me to please stay safe in the dangerous neighborhood where I taught.
  • From parents thanking me for getting their son in a college discovery program.
  • You were the best when I was in your class and you are still climbing that ladder.
  • You have been a great friend as well as a good teacher.
  • The time my track team presented me with a stop watch after we won the city championship.
  • A student who saw me on television teaching a lesson commenting on how great I looked.
  • “Thank you for having faith in me.”
  • I will never forget my first library squad presenting me with a special plaque.
  • “And now, as I am about to embark on this long and treacherous journey called Life, I see it fitting that I look to the past, to the man who has been so important to my growth.  And I want to thank him.  Thank you, Mr. Blumengarten.” (Student at the time was attending Yale University)
  • “And yes, I will surround myself with positive people.  I will also carry the words of “If” with me at all times.” (Student who was a very successful professional athlete written from prison)

Teachers have no real idea of how they have impacted their students’ lives.  Last year when I went to TeachMeet Georgia one of my former students who found me on Facebook said he wanted his wife to meet me.  He and his wife treated my wife and me to a fancy dinner.  He said it was his way of thanking me for helping get into a special program that consisted of boarding school and an Ivy League education.  He remembered my telling him that he was either going to be a politician or lawyer. Today, he is a very successful attorney.

To all educators I want to thank you for all that you do and let you know you too really matter.

6 thoughts on “You Matter – Yes, You the Teacher

1. Great post and kudos to Angela. Very rarely do I have a kid years later thank me for preparing them for the state exam or for a life changing lesson on Boss Tweed. It is the little things that matter–taking the time to care, challenge, push, and sometimes tell them what they don’t want to hear so that they become better! Thanks for the reminder of what is important in education–character building and connecting with students.

2. Thanks so much for including my photograph in this post! I also agree with this #youmatter philosophy, and I love how much you make all of us feel like we do matter, Jerry! Thanks for continuing to be an inspiration to me.

Aviva

• Thank you Aviva. I enjoy following all of your tweets and the wonderful things you are doing with your students. You inspire me! I wish I were a student in your class!

3. Thank you for sharing – it is important to know that we do make a difference…especially in times when it seems nobody appreciates us. Also important during times when you may feel bullied at work, because the profession – and most importantly the kids – cannot afford to loose great teachers. Thank you for reminding me of the difference I make.