#satchat Live at #ISTE2014 and reaching the world

When the “Jersey Boys” (@wkrakower, @ScottRRocco @bradmcurrie ) asked me once again to guest moderate #satchat Live at ISTE I was honored. I came up with what I thought was an appropriate topic and questions for this special event “Starting a Tech Revolution in Your School or School District.”

My questions

I posted the questions.

This past year I have been asking students, parents, teachers and administrators wherever I have been about the actual use of technology in their schools. In the Stone Age district of Florida where I live when I questioned students and teachers if they ever did a Voice Thread, blog, a mystery location call, flip their learning or even connect they look at me as if I am talking a foreign language. I was also taken aback when I asked about tech use and a student replied: “We only really use technology when taking standardized tests!” Luckily I am moving to a new area in Florida where they “get it!” Are you ready for me @dennisdill @MLMRobertson @DianaLRendina and @professorjosh?

In the dark ages I made signs by hand!

In the dark ages I made signs by hand!

When rock star and my good Twitter buddy and one night roommate, @thomascmurray, who recently testified in Congress on our behalf (ed tech), agreed to guest moderate we were set for a special live show.

@cybraryman1 @wkrakower @thomascmurray

@cybraryman1 @wkrakower @thomascmurray

So, there we were facing an enthusiastic audience of over 60 educators at such an early hour, on a Google Hangout with Scott and Brad (on his vacation) and a very active Twitter feed ( over 5,000 tweets in an hour).

Those present at #satchat Live at #ISTE2014 participated in a very lively and worthwhile discussion on technology. I have to especially mention the outstanding participation of @ugafrank and a guest appearance by awesome ISTE13 Keynotter @adambellow as well as contributions of @2footgiraffe
@plnaugle @ncarroll24 @JennRegruth @lparren @ StJMagistra @Kitty_Tripp @SandraTrach @LaurieBarron @elissamalespina @jdferries 
@janwells. @JoAnnJacobs68 @noApp4Pedagogy among others. 

image

@stringer_andrea a moderator of #satchatoc tweeted in from Australia that she wanted to see my cape

The infamous cape!

The infamous cape!

@ScottRRocco still in New Jersey led the GHO (google Hangout) while @bradmcurrie on vacation was still able to pop in and out. We all missed a live showing of our dear friend @casas_jimmy who chose to tweet in from his hotel room.

zkyleadam

My Google Hangout page
http://cybraryman.com/googlehangout.html

zerikp

I made sure to mention my good friends in the conversation: outstanding student leader @zakmal of #stuvoice in the student section, @thenerdyteacher in the teacher part (love his idea of presenting “pilot” project to administrators), @joemazza (#ptchat & parent camp) for his leadership in the parent piece and @NMHS_Principal for his efforts and book Digital Leadership ( so happy I caught up with,
hugged, spoke to and heard his presentation in his whirlwind one day appearance at ISTE. Best of luck Eric on your new position).

zchat3

What makes ISTE so special was meeting and talking with so many members of my PLN (Personal Learning Network). So wish I could meet everyone but that would require traveling to the four corners of the world.

I will definitely keep in mind all that we discussed as I serve on the Advisory Board of #sxswedu

Please check out my good friend & co-presenter at ISTE @s_bearden amazing new app Tweechme. @kcalderw (airplane delayed but still managed to be there and followed up our #satchat discussion moderating a live #nt2t GHO with @wkrakower’s technical assistance & even I chimed in)

Thanks everyone (those present, tweeting in and watching the Google Hangout online) for making this Live #satchat at #ISTE2014 a very special discussion.