Set Goals and Then Follow Through On Them

It is not hard to set goals or design mission statements.  However, they are only as good as being followed through.

This year I set a fitness goal of surpassing the 1,100 miles I accomplished in 2014 thanks to the hashtag #500in2014.  What really help keep me motivated was receiving a FitBit for Father’s Day.  I kept a spreadsheet of the distance I covered each day.  My daily goal was to cover 10,000 steps and for me that was equivalent to 4.5 miles.  After a while I decided to try for 100,000 steps per week.  FitBit once a week sends you in an email a report of your seven day progress.  I started another spreadsheet to keep track of my weekly totals of steps and distance.  As an aside I feel it is a good idea to not only teach students how to make databases and spreadsheets but to encourage them to make their own.  Have them make a spreadsheet of their physical activity each day or their earnings from doing chores or babysitting.  Learning a skill is wonderful but it is important to use it so you don’t forget what you have gained.

Keep on stepping!

Keep on stepping!

This is a tough time of year between Thanksgiving and the holidays to practice good nutrition and keep in shape.  Many people put off until the New Year to start eating properly and exercising.  I say don’t put it off and start now.  It is okay once in a while to treat yourself but keep focused on your health and fitness.  I do find myself at times not achieving what I set out to do but I stop and readjust and get back on track.  It is a good idea to stop and reflect on all that you do and make the necessary adjustments.

Yesterday, November 30, 2015 I surpassed 2,000 miles and made my goal.  Next year I would like to surpass my 2015 mileage.

My Goals page 

Here’s wishing you a healthy end to 2015 and an improved you in 2016.

Keep moving!

Keep moving!